Understanding order import delay
By default, your orders will attempt to import from an integration and then fulfill them as soon as possible. With an order import delay, you (the merchant) can set a period of time to wait before importing an order.
- Previously, you set the order delay to be 10 minutes.
- At 1:46pm, a customer creates an order at Shopify (or any channel) with order ID #1234.
- At 1:49pm, Flexport checks Shopify for new orders. The order ID #1234 is 3 minutes old (less than 10 minutes), so we ignore the order.
- At 2:04 pm Flexport checks again for new orders. The order ID #1234 is 18 minutes old (greater than 10 minutes) so we import the order.
Order delay is a setting that is currently only possible for the Shopify direct integration.
When a Delay is Useful
Most of the time we recommend that you set the delay to be 0, so orders can import and fulfill as soon as possible. For some situations though, an order delay can be useful.
- Upsell Opportunity — You (or an app that you use) wants to get the buyer to purchase more items after they have already placed an order. This goes for any app or process that can change (add, modify, or delete) the line items of an existing order.
- Fraud Verification — You (or an app that you use) wants to check to see if an order is fraudulent, and then cancel the order within the integration if it is.
Repercussions on Promises
If you plan to show promises on your page via Fast Tags or Shop Promise badges, the delay will push back the SLA on those badges around cutoff time (2pm Eastern or 11am Pacific). That is, suppose you have customer looking at your page at 10:50am PT and you have an ingestion delay set up for 15 minutes, we will show a 3-Day Delivery badge instead of the 2-Day Delivery to accommodate for the late order receiving. This way, the shopper will have the correct expectation of the order arrival but they will see a slower transit time.
How to Set the Delay
Open the Flexport Portal and open the integration that you want to add a delay to. In the order import delay card, enter a value for the delay.
- Enter an integer greater than or or equal to 0.
- The default value is 0. Set the value to 0 to turn off this feature (import orders as soon as possible).
Save your changes when done.