Kitting is a Prep service that allows you to create a sellable product made up of different component parts. This may sound like Bundles but there are some key differences that include:
- Bundles are virtual products where assembly happens after the order is placed. Kit assembly occurs before an order is placed.
- Kits store and ship as a single unit.
- Kits can include products not sold individually, such as packaging.
- Kits involve upfront cost, but can potentially be less expensive over time (one single SKU picked/packed, versus multiple in a single order).
- Kits can only be created during inbound to our Crossdock.
- Kits cannot be modified after being created.
- Kits are assembled units that can't be broken down for individual sale.
- You will need to Request Prep manually to submit a kitting request as a part of your inbound or inventory transfer.
Creating a new kit
To create a kit, take the following steps:
- In the Flexport Portal, go to Inventory > Products.
- Click Create and select Create kit or bundle.
- In the Create Kit or Bundle section, Select Kit.
- Fill out the requested information of the items. This will need information on
- Kit name
- Kit SKU
- All components and quantities
- Confirm the kit
Growth Opportunity: If you want to compare the costs of kits and bundles, you are able to switch between the two after you enter the components and quantities. This will show you the estimated costs for Kits and Bundles and help you make the best decision for your company.
Converting a product into a kit
You can turn a product into a kit if it needs assembly. To convert a product into a kit take the following steps:
- In the Flexport Portal go to Inventory > Products and select the product you want to convert.
- Under Action click add bundle or kit components
- The SKU and name will be pre-populated based on the original product details information.
- Under add components, add each item that needs to be assembled into the kit and the quantities.
- Confirm Kit.
To check the inventory and components of the kit you can access the kits details page.
- In the Flexport Portal, go to Inventory > Products and select the kit
This will bring you to the kit details page where you can track:
- Inventory availability
- Available to kit quantity
- Components and quantities
Available to kit indicates how many kits are able to be created. This is calculated by the inventory already in the network. A kit can’t be created unless all component parts have enough inventory to assemble.
You may review this article on Understanding Prep Status.
Change or update kit components
If a mistake was made with a kit, there is no way to modify the kit at this time. Instead, create a new kit with the correct items. If you need additional help updating a kit, contact Flexport Support.